The benefits of organic food not only for health but also reduce pollution pestisidan and other chemicals on earth, "said Barbara Haumann, a spokeswoman for Organic Trade Association.
I wonder what are the reasons why you should choose organic foods?
Here are 7 reasons to choose organic foods as quoted from Fitbie, among others:
1. Fruits and vegetables rich in organic nutrients. "Evidence suggests that organic food contains higher iron, magnesium, and vitamin C, and lower nitrate content. Nitrates are found in synthetic fertilizers, "Haumann said.
A number of studies at the University of California have also shown that, fruits and organic vegetables may have a certain higher level of antioxidants. Researchers have reported that organic tomatoes contained on average 79-97 percent of flavonoid phytochemicals that may help prevent heart disease.
2. Organic farming reduces exposure to harmful pesticides. Numerous studies have shown that exposure to some synthetic fertilizers are used on some plants can be harmful to human health. A study published in the journal BMC Neurology found that people exposed to pesticides 1.6 times more likely to develop Parkinson's disease compared with those without.
According to a new study, exposure to pesticides has been associated with ADHD and can interfere with female hormones. Because organic agriculture does not use pesticides, buy organic support system that reduces the overall exposure to pesticides.
3. Meat and milk from animals fed organic foods contain more healthy fats. According to studies conducted in the UK, organic farms tend to produce milk and meat with higher levels of omega 3 fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA). The content can prevent some types of cancer, helps control weight and lower cholesterol.
If the grass is eaten by animals have plenty of essential fatty acids, so the meat will also have a lot more essential fatty acids, "said Caplan.
4. Organic farming protects the environment. In addition to harm humans, the chemicals used in synthetic fertilizers can have negative consequences for the environment. In contrast, organic practices have been shown to protect soil and water and reduce its carbon footprint.
5. Organic products are processed without hormones or antibiotics. Organic livestock can not be treated with growth hormones or antibiotics subterapi, commonly prescribed to prevent than to cure sick animals sick animals. The use of antibiotics in food has been associated with a proliferation of bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.
A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found evidence that antibiotic-resistant bacteria found in meat and poultry can also be found in the gut of the consumer. Another study from Johns Hopkins showed that the bacteria in the air from concentrated animal feeding (CAFO) may be transferred from animals to humans.
6. Organic products contain genetically modified organisms (GMOs). A GMO is an organism that was injected with genetic material from other species to create its own version that does not occur in nature and can not be produced with a distinctive mode of crossing. In the case of crops, GMOs are most often made to establish pest-resistant crops and strong chemicals.
Potential negative effects, largely unknown, but several studies have shown that GMOs can harm health. Several studies with laboratory animals have linked genetically modified foods with a variety of health problems, including allergic reactions and disturbances in the liver, kidney, and heart.
7. Organic farming supports animal welfare. On a commercial farm animals are often forced to live in very small cages restrict movement. The animals are also given growth hormones that can have serious consequences. Chickens are given growth hormones have been known to develop a physical disability or loss of ability to walk. [detik.com]
May you also interest in 7 Reasons, Why Must Choose Organic Foods